Last updated: 7 May 2006
This page was created mainly as a place to put reviews and comments on books I've read. As people go, I think I'm a fairly slow reader. I also don't feel that I'm especially well-read, at least as far as bibliophiles go. But perhaps I'm too hard on myself; I don't watch much TV, and I don't read a whole lot of junk. Plus, I subscribe to many periodicals, which cuts into my time for reading books. So maybe I do okay.
You can buy books reviewed on these pages through Amazon.com by following the link on the book icon next to a review. Through Amazon.com's Associates Program, I will receive a small commission on books sold through my site in this way. (Greedy son-of-a-gun, ain't I?)
Humor and Cartoons
I've moved my SF reviews and commentary to this page.
Some of my favorite bookstores, new and used, around the United States.
Also, Bookfinder is my search engine of choice for booksellers who list their wares on-line.
- Avenue Victor Hugo, Newbury St., Boston, MA: A large selection of used books.
- Bookbuyers, Mountain View, CA: A huge used bookstore.
- Borderlands Books, San Francisco, CA: A science fiction bookstore carrying used hardcovers and paperbacks, and new hardcovers and oversized paperbacks.
- Dark Carnival, Berkeley, CA: Science fiction specialty store, with a very large selection of new books and a small number of used books.
- Future Fantasy, Mountain View, CA: Science fiction and mystery specialty store, carries new books. Their Web site also has many links to other SF resources.
- Kepler's Books, Menlo Park, CA: A good independent new bookseller, right next to Cafe Borrone, a terrific coffee shop.
- Know Knew Books, Palo Alto, CA: Smaller than Bookbuyers, but often stocking rarer books at nonetheless good prices.
- Pandemonium Books & Games, Cambridge, MA: A small but eclectic science fiction specialty store, with both new and used books.
hits since 1 July 1996.