Monday, 22 February 1999:

This Is It

Boy, I feel like I could use one more day to prepare for the movers and do some more apartment cleaning. But, no doubt if I had that day, I'd just feel the same way tomorrow.

Spent the morning cleaning out my storage locker, which mainly entailed throwing out empty boxes that I'm not going to use in the move. I also cleaned my car (some dirt spilled in the back when I took my plants home), found another cache of shirts to go through, and (oh yeah) read the newspaper.

After lunch I got in the car and went on some errands. I photocopied and mailed my taxes, and then went into Epic. There I picked up the last spare key to my apartment, returned some stuff to people I'd borrowed it from, and worked out some final financial details with the accounting folks.

After that I bought a few things at Walgreen's for my trip, dropped clothes off at Goodwill (which turned out to be trivial; you literally just show up, hand them the bags, and drive off), and went by the bank to exchange my jar of change. Finally, I got my car washed and came home.

I also made the requisite phone calls for the day. I'm really sick of making phone calls. Really. Sick. Did I mention sick?

The evening was spent trying to gradually persevere and not just give up and go to bed. I talked to both my Dad and to Karen for human-contact breaks, but mostly the activity just got more frantic as the evening went on. Eventually it was 10 pm and I hadn't even started packing my suitcases yet. Fortunately, I was able to do a lot of that quickly. (I mean, how hard is it to throw clothes in a suitcase? It's making sure I don't forget little things like my birth certificate that's tricky.)

And then I started getting a headache around 11 pm.

So at this point I've nearly finished everything that needs to be done. I'm going to try to finish the suitcase packing tonight, and tomorrow I'll do final things like removing my hard drive from my computer. (I've heard that hard drives can take a real beating in a moving van and may be permanently damaged - as in, "you have to buy a new one" - so I'll bring it with me.)

Am I as ready as I'll ever be? Well, no, I could always be a little more ready, but I think I'm very nearly ready enough. And hopefully that will be all that's necessary. And more hopefully, I haven't forgotten something critical.

So, this journal is now going on hiatus. I may write a little when I start my new job at Apple, but traditionally I haven't wanted to work on my journal while at work. So realistically it'll have to wait until I have a permanent apartment, which may be a month or more away.

I'm just crossing my fingers that the move will go smoothly, because once I'm out there and the cats are out there and my stuff is in storage out there I think I can handle pretty much anything. It's just this big hurdle to clear.

It's a great adventure. I'll let you know what I think

See ya on the flip side!

Previous Entry Month Index Next Entry
Back to the Main Index
Michael Rawdon (Contact)